Wednesday 24 February 2010

7/50: Piano, Cappuccino



I approached this task with mild trepidation, due to two undeniable facts: one, I don't play the piano, and two, I don't like coffee. Undeterred, I set off with gusto, being timed by someone else (who also kindly took photos) I grabbed one of two nearby books of piano music, which was the sheet music to Ben Folds' album 'Rockin The Suburbs', and began my epic 54-minute jam session.

The first couple of minutes consisted of me familiarising myself with bass clef ('Oh, what? That's a G?') and then working on my left hand only, and then eventually it was joined by the right hand in a clunky, fragmented rendition of 'Fred Jones Part 2' (the song which looked the easiest), leaving out the intro which I had a go at but it's off the beat and my hands could barely deal with doing two different things at the SAME time, let alone different times. At first, I stopped after every note, then after every bar, then managed to get some two-bar passages fairly smooth. Just as the 54 minutes came to an end, I managed to play the whole thing through up to where the chorus starts. It was still a bit wrong in places, but I think pretty impressive for someone who has never even pretended to play the piano.

At this point, my cappuccino arrived from a nearby coffee shop, presenting me with my second challenge: I don't really like coffee. Given that under the terms of the challenge, the alcoholic beverages may be consumed by a nearby useful person, I ensured someone was nearby who would be able to drink it for me. I then, with the best possible intentions, tried the cappuccino. Well, from this moment onward, coffee is no longer one of those things which I don't drink just because I've never tried it and didn't really fancy it - I really did not like it at all. I'm assured it's an acquired taste, but to me it just tasted of burnt mud. It's a shame, because I know a lot of people really enjoy coffee. I'm sticking to tea, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment